I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Waterloo and held Postdoctoral Fellowships at Caltech and UC San Diego. Afterwards, I spent two years as an Assistant Professor at Florida State University. I am currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at San Jose State University.
I specialize in Machine Learning, spanning from foundations to emerging applications in big data and computational creativity. Read more about my research and see my publications.
My work on computational media benefits from extensive artistic training. In particular, I've received six years of vocal training, focusing on opera.
I've written a Holocaust memoir, Running from Giants: The Holocaust Through the Eyes of a Child, which tells my grandfather's story as a child during the Holocaust.
Twitter. Google scholar. YouTube channel.
Palo Alto Weekly: Algorithm and rhyme: Artificial intelligence takes on songwriting
NBC News: How Humans Are Creating Artistic Partnerships with AI
New Scientist: Machine learning lets computer create melodies to fit any lyrics
ABC 27 WTXL: FSU Mobile Lab Shines a Spotlight on Dance.
RECENT AND UPCOMING APPEARANCES
- Musical Metacreation (MuMe) Concert. Composed by Machine: Songs by ALYSIA, ROBOCCINI, and MABLE. 91 Broad St SW, Atlanta, GA. 06/19/2017.
- LASER Talk in San Jose. Composed by an Artificial Intelligence: Soprano and Violist Perform Machine-Made Songs. The Forager, 420 South 1st St. San Jose, CA.
Open to the public. 06/03/2017.
- Stanford University. Algorithmic Songwriting. CCRMA Classroom, Knoll 217. Open to the public. 04/13/2017.
- Google. Algorithmic Songwriting. 05/04/2017.
- Ericsson. Algorithmic Songwriting. 05/17/2017.
- LASER series. Stanford University. 10/5/2017.
- PASEO festival. World Premiere of ALYSIA's Compositions. Hammer Theater. Open to the public. 04/8/2017.
- IBM. Formal Foundations of Clustering. 03/16/2017.